10.02.2007

CBS: "Moonlight": Pilot Review

[From CBS.com] In a life-altering twist of fate, Mick was "bitten" 60 years ago by his new bride, the seductive Coraline. Forever 30 years of age, Mick's as handsome and charismatic as the day he was "turned," and he eschews others of his kind who view humans only as a source of nourishment. With only a handful of like-minded confidantes for company, including the eternally young, wealthy and mischievous Josef, a hedge fund trader who relishes his uniqueness, Mick fills his infinite days protecting the living.

One night years ago, a single act of kindness changed Mick when he saved a young girl's life, making him want to be a better vampire. Now their paths cross again and Mick develops a distinctive bond with Beth Turner. Reconnecting with her unleashes feelings Mick knows he can't pursue without exposing that part of him that would make him a monster in Beth's eyes. As Mick lives between two realities, fighting his adversaries among the undead and falling in love, he discovers the mysteries and pleasures that a valuable life has to offer.






I gotta tell ya folks, I was all ready not to like this show because of it likeness to another vampire series, yep that’s right Angel. I decided to give the episode a watch b/c we are all about fairness here. I personally liked it, not a mind-blowing masterpiece but good. The show is chalk full of cheesiness.

For Example:
· Feeds himself by injecting blood with a needle
· Crazy ability to jump
· Slow motion running
· Always disappearing while the girl is still talking
· Hot girls just hanging around to be fed off of
· Sleeps in a freezer


But there are some good things too:
· Jason Dohring from Veronica Mars!
· All the cast actually
· A nod to the late departed V.Mars (the mention of the Hearst College student)

Now I know the bad definitely outweighs the good, but there is just something about vampire shows that always entertains. I give it a 3, there isn't much on Fridays anyway!

"If your not the killer and let's go with that b/c it's comforting, then who are you?"
- Beth Turner
"Mick St. John, Private Investigator" - Mick St. John
------------------------------------------------

Jenn's opinion: Just humor me for a minute while I launch a cynical mini-rant. The only (and I really mean ONLY) reason I gave this pilot a shot was because of one Mr. Jason Dohring. And surprise surprise! he's the only thing I enjoyed about the entire show. He wears sarcasm well, what can I say? Nonetheless, I found myself struggling to stay awake during the episode.

"Moonlight" is in my opinion, a poor man's "Angel." It's not only cheesy, but rife with craptacular special effects. It lacks the witty humor of "Angel" or "Buffy."
If you're looking for a better vampire show, catch "Blood Ties" on Lifetime.
I may DVR a few more eps to see if there's any improvement. Should my rating be a surprise? Two!



No comments: