9.16.2007

NBC: "Life" Pilot Review

“Life was his sentence and Life is what he got back” - Attorney Constance Griffiths

Premise: Detective Charlie Crews (Damian Lewis) wrongly imprisoned for 12 years is given a second chance at life. After his exoneration, thanks to close friend and attorney Constance Griffiths(Brooke Langton), he chooses to return to the force to find the real culprits behind his incarceration.

J’s thoughts:
Charlie Crews eats fruit like House pops Vicodin. Maybe that's the source of his quirkiness and Zen state. OR maybe that's due to spending 12 years in a maximum-security prison.

I thought the documentary-style interviews were an interesting method. I'm not sure if they'll keep up with this style throughout the season?
Marissa and I could not stop laughing d
uring most of the 1st half. This may be another show in which the quirkiness of the lead character makes the show fun to watch.

I was not expecting to like this pilot as much as I did. It was a pleasant surprise and considering that I don't have anything else sch
eduled for Wednesdays @ 10pm, I'm going to give this one a try.
Rating = 3 ¾

M’s thoughts:

Well where do I start. I was mesmerized by the way Crews eats fruit is probably a good place. It was kind of refreshing and super funny to see someone in their thirties not understand the concept of a cellular phone, and I think (hope) little bits like this keep popping in.

Crews is all about being “zen,” which kind of makes him appear wacky. Really the “zenness” is what makes him a better detective, it gives him a calming effect on almost everyone he talks to.

This is not your standard cop show people!!
Rating = 4
"Life" airs Wednesdays at 10pm

1 comment:

  said...

This started in New Zealand last night after something like six (or more) months of promos. Not sure about it yet as I only watched it because a friend is in it. Monk is quirkier and that was established from the beginning: here, Charlie seems to switch from zen (the dog whisperer) to regular cop (killing the nine-figured shooter) depending on the script. I do like the touches that Marissa mentions though, like his not knowing how to use a cellphone or that a phone can take photographs.